Botany – Genetics and Evolution of Plant Diversity
Our research team analyses key regulatory transcription factors that control plant development. We conduct comparative approaches using plant model organisms such as Arabidopsis thaliana together with other evolutionary informative plant species. Current research focuses on the liverwort Marchantia polymorpha and the amphibious liverwort Riccia fluitans to unravel the role of redox-regulation in developmental processes and for an adaptation to a terrestrial plant life style.
- Arabidopsis thaliana and angiosperms with interesting novelties such as flower symmetry
- Marchantia polymorpha and Riccia fluitans
- Additional informative water and land plants for comparative studies
- Developmental genetics (genome editing, mutant analyses)
- Expression analyses (mRNA, protein)
- Transcriptomics (next generation sequencing)
- Morphological studies
- High resolution microscopy and redox sensors
- DNA/protein interactions (EMSAs
Zachgo S. (2023) Nuclear redox processes in land plant development and stress adaptation. Biol. Chem., DOI 10.1515/hsz-2022-0288.
Bowman J., Arteaga-Vazquez M., Berger F., et al., Zachgo S. (2022) The renaissance and enlightenment of Marchantia as a model system. Plant Cell 34, 3512–3542. DOI 10.1093/plcell/koac219.
Althoff F., Wegner L., Ehlers K., Buschmann H., Zachgo S. (2022) Developmental plasticity of the amphibious liverwort Riccia fluitans. Front. Plant Sci., DOI 10.3389/fpls.2022.909327.
Maß L., Holtmannspötter M., Zachgo S. (2020) Dual-color 3D-dSTORM colocalization and quantification of ROXY1 and RNAPII variants throughout the transcription cycle in root meristem nuclei. The Plant Journal, DOI 10.111/tpj.14986.
Busch A., Deckena M., Almeida-Trapp M., Kopischke S., Kock C., Schuessler E., Tsiantis M., Mithofer A., Zachgo S. (2019) MpTCP1 controls cell proliferation and redox processes in Marchantia polymorpha. New Phytologist, DOI 10.1111/nph.16132.